Greater Boston Magic

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is for open discussion of all things related to Magic: The Gathering by players in the Greater Boston Area.

+2
adamt
Conelead
6 posters

Chapin's UW Control list and comments on Jace.

Conelead
    Conelead

Chapin's UW Control list and comments on Jace. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chapin's UW Control list and comments on Jace.

Post  Conelead Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:41 pm

I feel like this deck is one card short of being amazing. There are three cards that just frequently don't pull their weight:

1) Cancel
    2) Mind Spring
    3) Iona

1) and 2) are the biggest problems.

On 1)
    Cancel is a huge problem with the deck, as it forces the deck into awkward plays with the second best card in the deck - Everflowing Chalice. The need to leave up 1UU makes Chalice MUCH less effective, as you have to have two real lands untapped after casting your Chalice. A two-mana counter which is not conditional on spell type (e.g. Mana Leak) would be the fix that the doctor ordered.

On 2)
    I don't like the space Mind Spring occupies in this deck. It is too mana intensive to draw lots of cards and is terribly inefficient at drawing small numbers of cards. This deck needs a second streamlined draw spell to support Treasure Hunt. A spell like Compulsive Research or Thirst for Knowledge would be excellent.

On 3)
    This really isn't a problem as much as a matter of personal preference. Iona is in the deck because she randomly wins games by herself. Sometimes she rots in your hand, that's the risk you take. Jace minimizes the instances of this, but I would understand if anyone felt like cutting the big angel.

I really think that this deck is a single card away from going from good to really good. Replacing Cancel with a counter like Mana Leak, Rune Snag, or something like Prohibit (although it would need to counter CMC 3 stuff in its unkicked state) would allow the deck to rely on a sub-optimal draw suite to find answers, as the countermagic would be far more flexible. Replacing Mind Spring would allow the deck to rely on a combination of Essence Scatter and Negate, while actually drawing them when they were needed with reasonable consistency. Obviously, if both problems were fixed the deck gets even better, but I think if Rise fixes one of the two the deck will get a lot better.
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Chapin's UW Control list and comments on Jace. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chapin's UW Control list and comments on Jace.

Post  jdoucette24 Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:05 pm

if cancel was 2U instead of 1UU it would be so much better. i think people wouldnt complain so much any more.

if chalice was azorious signet that would be much better for cancel's sake.

I would prefer sphinx of jwar isle over iona. huge blocker and wins games while protecting itself.
    Conelead
    Conelead

Post  Conelead Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:47 am

I am thinking of cutting those "creature" cards altogether. They kinda all suck.
    Winterhalter
    Winterhalter

Post  Winterhalter Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Another idea would be playing Jund.
    Conelead
    Conelead

Post  Conelead Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Screw that, I'm playing Islands, whether it be UW or Mythic.
    JohnJackson
    JohnJackson

Post  JohnJackson Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:00 pm

You could play warp world with 1 island to fetch so that you can run spreading seas out of the board.

(Just to avoid confusion: this is a horrible idea on 2 fronts. It is both the wrong way to play LD with warp world and also involves playing warp world).
    Conelead
    Conelead

Post  Conelead Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:02 pm

See, if Warp World didn't lose to Negate, I'd honestly think about it. I like decks that are 2/3 mana, as my current love affair with Mythic will testify. I wish RG Valakut Ramp didn't lose to any aggro deck...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:03 am