Greater Boston Magic

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is for open discussion of all things related to Magic: The Gathering by players in the Greater Boston Area.

2 posters

On the Reserved List

Conelead
    Conelead

On the Reserved List Empty On the Reserved List

Post  Conelead Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Ben Bleiweiss wrote a series of articles on the reserved list over at SCG, followed by Menendian's today (on premium). I was wondering what people's opinions are on this subject.
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

On the Reserved List Empty Re: On the Reserved List

Post  jdoucette24 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 pm

all that i took out of it is that Legacy is expensive and if they try to make it a PTQ format then there probably arent enough dual lands in existence to make it affordable thus they should reprint them. i want to play legacy but the price to entry is way to high for the common PTQer
    Conelead
    Conelead

Post  Conelead Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Essentially the debate is over the supposed "promise" which is contained within the reserved list - that wizards will maintain the value of your cards, or investments, by not doing large-scale reprints of expensive cards. There was a huge outcry over Chronicles because it tanked the value of previously rare cards by making them widely available. People are feeling antsy that the same thing will happen if they abolish the reserve list. They're afraid of "Chronicles 2" with a Zendikar-sized print run and containing power, duals, and forces. They're afraid their unlimited power will drop from hundreds each to like 50 each.
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 pm

well its up to wizards to make the decision. I think Menedian made a good point about beta vs revised duals. the revised duals are the gamer's duals that wont lose much if reprint where as beta dual's price is going to stay steady/ increase over time because they are more for collectors. i would love to own my own revised duals but 30-50 a pop is pretty expensive for lands.
    Conelead
    Conelead

Post  Conelead Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:26 pm

50 is cheap for the blue ones too.

Frankly I feel like Ben's comments that the price of many of these cards is driven by playability are accurate. I believe they should just reprint everything in a controlled manner. I am sure that a happy medium exists where the supply of Legacy staples can be increased to acceptable levels without destroying the value of older copies. Sure, new ones might be worth 15-20, but collectors don't care about that. As long as their ABU duals hold value, they could care less what the new ones are worth.
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:32 pm

also i dont support reprinting power. those are kind of in another realm of magic value.
    Conelead
    Conelead

Post  Conelead Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Frankly I would support it, mostly because I want to see Vintage be a DCI supported format. I think the format does have a lot of interesting things going for it, but it really is a niche format because of card availability.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 pm