Greater Boston Magic

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is for open discussion of all things related to Magic: The Gathering by players in the Greater Boston Area.

+2
Conelead
Robert Goulet
6 posters

Cube Draft This Week

Robert Goulet
    Robert Goulet

Cube Draft This Week Empty Cube Draft This Week

Post  Robert Goulet Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Team Goulet we are planning on having a cube draft this Thursday at Jared's house. This thread is dedicated to discussing the upcoming cube draft, finalizing our plans, and figuring out who is coming.
    I suggest we draft Andrew's Cube.
    I also suggest we start at 6 p.m. and bring beers to the event.

Post on this thread to confirm that you are coming to the draft and/or to suggest cards, concepts, or ideas for drafting on Thursday.

Goulet!

Conelead
    Conelead

Cube Draft This Week Empty Re: Cube Draft This Week

Post  Conelead Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Superpowered cubes are boring. I don't want to play with all the best cards in magic, lol. I suggest we draft my cube. Who wants to play with Mox Pearl when you can play with Timberwatch Elf!

[edit] post number 100!
    Winterhalter
    Winterhalter

Post  Winterhalter Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:00 pm

We are playing with Andy's cube because it's baller. Disagreement will be met with open mockery.
    Conelead
    Conelead

Post  Conelead Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:51 pm

If we are drafting Andy's cube I will not be attending, not because I refuse to draft a cube other than my own, but because I do not enjoy drafting cubes designed like Andy's. I have drafted cubes containing power 9 before on multiple occasions from different people, and they all follow the same design philosophy. They are simply a selection of what the player feels are the best cards in certain colors. They also inevitably suffer from a few problems:

1) Green is invariably weak, and usually red is too (comparatively).
    2) They have a tendency to remove the combat phase from the equation through the use of more powerful spells. This is alleviated by WotC's recent push of the power curve on creatures, but the problem still exists nonetheless.
    3) The best decks to draft are invariably constructed-like archetypes, only with a bunch of singletons instead.
    4) As a result of (3) they tend to feel like playing bad constructed decks built from a semi-random selection of cards. Frankly, I don't want to play a deck that looks like this:

Exalted Angel, Pristine Angel, Morphling, Ophidian, Thieving Magpie, Austere Command, Wrath of God, Akroma's Vengeance, Kirtar's Wrath, Forbid, Cryptic Command, Dismiss, Counterspell, Mana Leak, Hinder, Repeal, Capsize, Oblivion Ring, Swords to Plowshares, Condemn, Deep Analysis, Compulsive Research

To me, that is not fun. Why don't I just go play T2 and play UW control then? I have the most fun in cube draft when the cube is NOT superpowered and thus contains cards that are interesting role-players. One of the most fun games of Magic I have ever played was in a cube draft where I was on the wrong side of a Simic Guildmage. The card absolutely destroyed me, and it was fun. The guy's deck was based on getting specific enchantments like Diplomatic Immunity, Alexi's Cloak, Floating Shield, and even the lowly Holy Strength into play, then moving them around with stuff like Simic Guildmage and Aura Graft. It was awesome. Experiences like that are the reason I cube draft.

If Andy is willing to assure me that his cube is not just a list of super-powered cards (and has examples to back it up), I would be very willing to draft it, however I feel like the presence of power 9 indicates his design philosophy. I have rarely enjoyed the experience of drafting when drafting a cube of that philosophy, and therefore have no desire to repeat the experience. The socialization that occurs while drafting was enough for me to endure the experience in the past, but in this instance I would rather draft ZZW at Your Move than draft a cube designed that way.

These are my honest opinions. I apologize if they have offended anyone.
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:59 am

alrighty, well with that being said, i dont care what is in a cube. i dont see how drafting a overpowered cube makes hanging out and playing cards that much worse. its still fun (especially with beers). im just shocked someone has that strong of an opinion when it comes to a cube. to each his own.

i will be hosting and im looking forward to it.
    Conelead
    Conelead

Post  Conelead Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Yeah well, that's just the way I am. My enjoyment level in drafting superpowered cubes is about the same as my enjoyment level drafting triple Homelands (yes, I have done that).
    Winterhalter
    Winterhalter

Post  Winterhalter Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:04 am

Guys, a reminder that this is going down tonight at Jared's at 6:00 p.m.
    E-$$$
    E-$$$
    Admin

Post  E-$$$ Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:23 am

Hey, guys. I just realized that I have obligations to attend a concert at Berklee tonight at 9:00. If we start the draft right at 6:00, I should be able come. Let me know if this seems realistic.
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:40 am

well i will be there at 6p
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am

well i learned a few things from the cube last night

1) equipment is the still the shit in limited
    2) sacrifice effects are wickedly powerful. chainer's edict may just be one of the best cards in the cube
    3) there are not enough ways to kill planeswalkers. oblivion ring, maelstrom pulse, vamp hexmage, vindicate, deed, explosives (kind of), oblivion stone. just not enough.
    4) its impossible to read color signals unless you've seen the pack before. color imbalance in the packs is going to happen with a cube.
    Chris
    Chris

Post  Chris Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:28 pm

This was fun. AS usual I drafted well and played like poo.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content