Greater Boston Magic

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is for open discussion of all things related to Magic: The Gathering by players in the Greater Boston Area.

Mythic: Mana is awesome

Conelead
    Conelead

Mythic: Mana is awesome Empty Mythic: Mana is awesome

Post  Conelead Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Zvi's list, for reference:

Maindeck:
    4 Baneslayer Angel
    4 Birds Of Paradise
    4 Knight Of The Reliquary
    4 Lotus Cobra
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Rampaging Baloths
    4 Rhox War Monk
    1 Thornling
    3 Rafiq Of The Many
    3 Finest Hour

6 Forest
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    4 Celestial Colonnade
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    3 Stirring Wildwood
    2 Sunpetal Grove
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard:
    2 Admonition Angel
    4 Mind Control
    3 Bant Charm
    3 Negate
    2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor
    1 Day Of Judgment

My revision:
    Maindeck:
    4 Baneslayer Angel
    4 Birds Of Paradise
    4 Knight Of The Reliquary
    4 Lotus Cobra
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Rampaging Baloths
    4 Rhox War Monk
    1 Wolfbriar Elemental
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Basilisk Collar
    1 Behemoth Sledge
    1 Sigil of Distinction

6 Forest
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    4 Celestial Colonnade
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    3 Stirring Wildwood
    2 Sunpetal Grove
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard:
    3 Bant Charm
    3 Negate
    1 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Behemoth Sledge
    1 Wolfbriar Elemental
    1 Master of the Wild Hunt
    4 Pithing Needle

As you can see, I have cut the Exalted package for an Equipment package. Zvi himself said he sideboarded out Rafiq in every matchup, and I figured there had to be something better than that if he was doing that. I believe the equipment to be stronger. The primary justification of those slots is as follows - they turn all your creatures into threats. I believe the equipment package accomplishes this while maintaining greater versatility.

My main issue with the exalted package came when my opponent was able to present a minimal defense and I was stuck with things like Noble Heirarch or Birds of Paradise. Finest Hour does not allow a Birds to swing through a Celestial Colonnade. Of course, neither does Behemoth Sledge, but Sigil (the one I fetch most often) does. Equipment also makes it easier to "go bigger" in creature war matchups, which I feel is the best plan to win. The third thing it does is make it easier to not overextend against wrath effects, as you can enhance your creatures with equipment and make them bigger. Finest Hour had much the same effect, but often I find I can apply just as much pressure with equipment without leaving myself vulnerable to instant speed spot removal.

The last thing is that the life-gain is most definitely relevant, especially in matchups where you are trying to race. The sideboard probably needs some form of Mind Control; I have yet to figure out where those go in.