Greater Boston Magic

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is for open discussion of all things related to Magic: The Gathering by players in the Greater Boston Area.

5 posters

Draw Step? More like Dredge Step!

Poll

Which is better: 2 x Iona, Shield of Emeria, or 1 Flame-Kin Zealot and 1 Iona?

[ 3 ]
    Draw Step?  More like Dredge Step! I_vote_lcap60%Draw Step?  More like Dredge Step! I_vote_rcap [60%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Draw Step?  More like Dredge Step! I_vote_lcap40%Draw Step?  More like Dredge Step! I_vote_rcap [40%] 

Total Votes: 5
    Robert Goulet
    Robert Goulet

Draw Step?  More like Dredge Step! Empty Draw Step? More like Dredge Step!

Post  Robert Goulet Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Extended Dredge by Robert Goulet:

4 Hedron Crab
    4 Drowned Rusalka
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Bridge from Below
    3 Golgari Grave-Troll
    3 Glimpse the Unthinkable
    3 Ideas Unbound
    3 Dread Return
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Sphinx of Lost Truths
    1 Flame-Kin Zealot

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Verdant Catacomb
    4 Watery Grave
    2 Breeding Pool
    2 Island

SideBoard
    4 x Thoughtseize
    4 x Maelstrom Pulse
    4 x Leyline of the Void
    3 x Tombstalker

Deck List with Pictures

Please tell me how much my deck sucks and I don't know what I'm doing cutting a Grave-Troll for a 2nd Life from the Loam.
    Would a 2nd Iona be better than the Flame-Kin Zealot? Should I focus on combo insta-win or lock-out slower win?
    Also please criticize my manabase and tell me real men play Wild Nacatl.

Trolling and Flame-Baiting highly encouraged.
    Matt C
    Matt C

Draw Step?  More like Dredge Step! Empty Re: Draw Step? More like Dredge Step!

Post  Matt C Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Draw Step?  More like Dredge Step! 47

Post  Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm positive that the Life from the Loam is fine to play over the 4th troll. You start winning with crab and rusalka/bloodghast shennanigans (all of which Loam supports), not with your draw (dredge) step. I think the Iona question can be answered by how much you feel it affects your match-up against Zoo, since Iona seems better against every deck except Zoo. It seems to me that if you name white they can just attack into her and burn her out after blocks, or just throw red spells at your face. If you name red, they could have path and send you to frown town. This might not be completely right as I have hardly observed this match-up.

Post  Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Matt C wrote:Draw Step?  More like Dredge Step! 47
    Meeooooowwwww....
    Robert Goulet
    Robert Goulet

Post  Robert Goulet Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Guys, don't forget to vote in the poll at the top for 2xIona or Iona/Flame-Kin Split.
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:40 pm

I think both Iona and Zealot are cards that can and do win the game as soon as they are played, however, iona can pull you out of a jam and shut off entire deck's ability to win. not to mention a 7/7 flier aint bad either. how about the 1/1 split in the main and play a second iona in the board. zealot allows you to have your most powerful deck but iona gives you stronger, longer game.

i like the second Loam. the dredge is less, however, landfall is pretty key to both bloodghast and "meow" crab. also, as you have said before, you dredge out a lot of lands so fetchs become blanks. atleast with loam you can put them in your hand once dredged into the graveyard
    Matt C
    Matt C

Post  Matt C Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:34 pm

I prefer two Iona. I've switched over to both in my modo build and haven't looked back.
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:21 am

Would Damping Matrix be an issue for dredge? i know landfall for meow crab and bloodghast is a triggered ability but what about the dredge ability itself? is that an activated ability or a replacement ability? would a damping matrix shut that off?
    adamt
    adamt

Post  adamt Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:47 am

dredge is a replacement effect.

DampMatrx says:
    Activated abilities of artifacts and creatures can't be played unless they're mana abilities.

the only thing it would shut off is the Drowner =(
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am

thanks thats what i thought.
    Robert Goulet
    Robert Goulet

Post  Robert Goulet Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:11 pm

I've chosen to go with 2x Iona, Shield of Emeria.
    The Flame-Kin Zealot can stay at home.

New concept:

What do you guys think of Krosan Grip? Any good?

A large number of people use Tormad's Crypt and Relic of Progenitus and wait to activate the artifact until I use a Dread Return of Bridge from Below. In these routine situations I have the opening to cast Krosan Grip and then really pull ahead.
    Grip is obviously also great against Leyline of the Void.

However, Maelstrom Pulse is useful for destroying Gaddock Teeg and Meddling Mage, among other beaters (Kills multiple Tarmogofys of Wild Nacatls).

I'm not sure which removal spell to lead with. What do you guys think?

Maelstrom Pulse or Krosan Grip?
    CorpulentLord
    CorpulentLord

Post  CorpulentLord Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:02 am

Hey old man go back 2 the nerssin home where u belong!!!!1111

u so old u turn 2 dust like stupid ubern00b u suck at magik u so old u cat read crads anymore u need little ratatded jimmy to read u crads roflmao u so old u dumb

and ur deck suks so bad why u play hedron crab it tirrbel it only attak for like 0 only n00bs plya crabs like u old dynasare roflmao go play litenin bolt dek instead it deals like 4 damage it so good obvi lol

STOP
    SINGING
    NO
    WANTS
    HEAR
    U
    SING
    LDO

U'VE BEEN UBERPWNED
    jdoucette24
    jdoucette24

Post  jdoucette24 Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:14 pm

for the record mr. goulet, i think krosan grip would be better. kills leyline and crypt and those are the two most common answers to dredge
    Robert Goulet
    Robert Goulet

Post  Robert Goulet Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:55 am

My New Dredge Sideboard:

4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Maelstrom Pulse
    3 Krosan Grip

Thoughts?
    adamt
    adamt

Post  adamt Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Noah,
    Did you have a chance to read Cedric's article about playing Dredge at Oakland and his sideboarding strategies?
    Grip/pulses are obviously there to deal with opposing leylines.
    Leylines of your own are for the dredge mirror/living end/thopter decks?
    and thoughtsiezes are for proactively removing graveyard hate?

what are your hardest matchups with Dredge?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm